Tuesday, January 26, 2010

52. Walking Around Point Dume Beach in Malibu

There are many sights to see and activities to enjoy, especially if you enjoy nature and the beach, when you visit Point Dume (pronounced doo-may), such as starfish sightings and surfing.

After visiting Point Dume a couple of times, I wondered if it was possible to walk around the point via the beach.  Given Point Dume's landscape of massive in size and height cliffs, it seemed reasonable to me that if I was going to accomplish this feat I'd need to be at the west side beach as close to low tide as possible.

To reach Point Dume by vehicle, you need to find your way to the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway).  Where Zuma Beach and Malibu border is where you find Westward Beach Road.  Turn onto Westward Beach Road toward the ocean.  Follow the road to the pay parking lot.  Voila!  You have now arrived at the west side beach of Point Dume.

The mid-January day I was there for this monumental experiment, I managed to arrive about half an hour before low tide.  As you will see in the video, I made it past the first set of rocks (although I needed to climb them to get by).  I reached the next set of rocks.  These were the last set of rocks to go around to reach the east side.  Darn!  I was going to have to climb these rocks.

Okay.  I had decided initially I would not get dirty, wet or risk hurting my self to accomplish this feat.  I'd barely started when I got dirty.  Out went that decision.  Yet, I was still fairly willing to hold to my other two.

I looked at this second set of rocks and decided I wasn't willing to risk falling off them to prove something most likely no one cared about except me.  Not having health insurance probably factored in a bit too.

Aaaahhhhhh!  I'd come this far.  Was I really willing to give up already?  After all I'd already navigated the first set of rocks that at first glance also appeared daunting.  Aaaaahhhhhh!  I had to keep going.

I started climbing the second set of rocks. I saw tide pools in some of the rocks.  During high tide these rocks are covered in water.  Still...before I got around, I decided I really had reached the limit of what I was willing to climb.  Fear of Falling!  Self-Denial!  Darn!

So I headed back to hurry along the long-way path to the east side beach just knowing there would be some awesome surfing watching and filming to be done.

Here's what I feel was my surprising yet welcome realization as I started to trek to the east-side beach.  I began feeling a bit smug believing I had just proven walking around Point Dume via the beach couldn't be done.  Before my back began to get too red from all my self-congratulatory patting, I realized all I'd actually proven was I couldn't do it on this day.  A better climber might have.  In the summer when the water level of low tide is lower, I might have.

Anyone else thinking, "I have a date with destiny."?  Anyone else thinking, "rematch"?



No comments:

Post a Comment