Thursday, April 15, 2010

98. Cisco Burger: Old School Hamburger - New School Energy Joint

Cisco Burger.  How can one talk about this joint without mentioning the name, Jesse James?  And with the name, Jesse James, perhaps it is inevitable you would have some outlaw in you.  Although, your SoCal Gal would be willing to argue that each of us has a little outlaw in us, even if it is currently dormant.

Anywhoo...this venue is not one for commenting on people's personal lives.  And with full disclosure, your SoCal Gal wishes to let you know that she intended to check out Cisco Burger (620 W Anaheim Street in Long Beach, California and owned by Jesse James), since the day after Sandra Bullock won her Academy Award.  Why?

It was on that day when your SoCal Gal, me, Lori Bjork, was watching her guilty pleasure TV show aka TMZ.  TMZ did a piece showing Jesse and Sandra walking hand-in-hand either to or from Cisco Burger.  I don't remember which.  Doesn't matter, really.  It was at that moment the "I didn't know they owned a restaurant.  I should check it out.  Then I can write about it." wheels went a whirring in my mind.

Okay...to be candidly frank, I would have never given this old school hamburger joint a second glance had it not been for the TMZ info.  Wow!  Who'd a thunk it?  TMZ unwittingly providing public service since November 8, 2005.

Despite the celebrity ownership of Cisco Burger, which might have been enough to keep the business flourishing since its 2006 opening, or the fact it is located next to West Coast Choppers, which most likely provided a built-in client base from the get-go; this joint has thrived because of the food and its commitment to and example of being eco-friendly.

After I found out about the eco-friendly flavor, which includes a large percentage of the burger joints electricity being provided by solar energy among other things; I thought it would make a better eco-friendly story to visit Cisco Burger having ridden the Metro Blue Line down to North Long Beach Boulevard and East Anaheim Street to then walk the remaining distance to 620 West Anaheim Street.

Then before I could get my Metro Blue Line ride on, all the Jesse allegations hit the fan.  Suddenly, the idea to write about Cisco Burger didn't seem so awesome any more.

Luckily, I am more of a "when your glass starts to empty something will come along and fill it up" kind of gal.  Needing to go to Long Beach the other day for another reason, I hopped in my trusty vehicle and headed to Long Beach.  It wasn't the original plan to go by vehicle, but perhaps fortuitous none-the-less.  For while it wouldn't be as eco-friendly to drive to Cisco Burger, it brought to my awareness how nicely located just off the 710 Freeway Cisco Burger is.  And while for many the .61 miles to the Metro Blue Line station isn't that far (and would provide for a great way to build up an appetite and then walk off some of those fries on the way back), for some it may be a bit prohibitive, especially if you are in a hurry.

Speaking of being in a hurry, Cisco Burger is not a fast food hamburger joint.  The food is not prepared until after you order it.  While it wasn't that busy when I was there, it did take a good ten minutes or so before my food was ready for pickup.

While I was waiting for my food, I noticed the expansive array of condiments, including some spicy options (which is not the norm for most food establishments), available on the tables.  I thought to myself that I should make a mental note to mention this to my Nicaraguan man.  He is my significant other and lover of spicy things.  TMI?  I mean, personally as someone who feels that ketchup is almost too spicy, it has been interesting to find out that for others even something like Tobasco is simply vinegar water colored red.  So, stop fooling around and bring on the really hot stuff.

As this was my first visit, I decided to simply go for the Cisco Burger Combo with cheese.  Seriously, me encanta el queso.  I appreciated being offered the choice of white or wheat bun for my burger, along with 1/4 lb. or 1/3 lb. of meat.  I wish I would have known I had a raw or fried onions option for my burger.  While the burger impressed me, I'm thinking that burger with fried onions would have impressed me even more.  The fries...not so much.

The menu is much more than just burgers.  The Cisco Burger website includes a copy of the menu, if you are interested.  I can't personally comment on breakfast (Cisco opens at 7 am Monday through Friday, 8 am Saturday and Sunday) having not experienced it.  I understand if it isn't so much good, it certainly is popular.  Most Saturday mornings you can expect so many hungry people jonesin' for some Cisco Burger breakfast that they are willing to wait in a line which extends outside this hamburger joint's door.

Lest you too think you may soon jonse for the Cisco Burger experience after 4 PM (after 2 PM on Sunday), think again.  Hard to get good food or any food for that matter from an old school hamburger--new school energy joint when it is closed.

BTW.  As I write this, the Long Beach Grand Prix started today and runs through Sunday, April 18, 2010.  Are you in Long Beach for the Grand Prix?  Yes.  Then, if burgers are your thing, you may wish to head over to Cisco Burger and give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment