Friday, March 5, 2010

74. Never Been To A Library Like This or Where the Bleep is 9038 Melrose? Part 1

Your CaliforniVacation SoCal gal was out on the streets of Los Angeles, the day before I write this, in search of 9038 Melrose Avenue.

You may be thinking and correctly so, "How hard can it be? GPS, right?"

GPS? Well, I ain't got no stinkin' GPS.  I don't need no stinkin' GPS.  I do have mapquest.com though.

Or perhaps you were thinking, "Why 9038 Melrose Avenue?"  Good question.  And I have an answer.

I mentioned in blog post 72 that I have a list of places I am psyched to sightsee.  Every place on my list has some sort of relevance to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS).

Of the places on my list, I was particularly psyched about 9038 Melrose Avenue.  In 1946 AMPAS purchased the then Marquis Theater at 9038 Melrose Avenue to be their office headquarters (1).  This sight was also host for only one Academy Award ceremony on March 24, 1949 (2).  I had to really dig deep in Google to come up with the 9038 part of the address (3).  Most of what I found written about the venue only simply referred to the Marquis Theater location as being on Melrose Avenue

As I mentioned, I was really psyched as I set out to 9038 Melrose Avenue.  I would be sightseeing a venue on my list with three things going for it.  Clearly, in my mind, a sightseeing trifecta.

I reach my destination.  I don't immediately notice a building with the numbers 9038, but let me park.  I park.  I put two quarters in the meter.  What?  You never know how long these things may take.  I walk up the block.  I walk down the block.  Nada.  No building with the numbers, 9038.

I check the street sign.  It's a tricky area.  Maybe I thought I was on Melrose but I'm off a block.  Street sign
appears to be Melrose.  There's a man walking in front of me.  Maybe he knows.  I ask him if I am on Melrose Avenue.  Yes.  I am on Melrose.  No building with the numbers, 9038.

I get in my car and drive away.  What more can I currently do with my resources at hand?

As I proceed to the next destination on my list, I think about what just happened. I think maybe it would be far more interesting to write about what I saw even though it wasn't what I was psyched to see.

At my next destination, 8949 Wilshire Boulevard, I am again psyched.  See?  It doesn't take much.

I am at the location of the current AMPAS offices, which hosts two exhibits (each exhibit is refreshed with a new exhibit every three months) open to the general public (Tuesday through Friday 10 am to 5 pm, weekends noon to 6 pm).  This is the location AMPAS moved to on December 8, 1975 from the 9038 Melrose location.

When I walk into the lobby it appears a bit chaotic.  At the time it was Oscar week after all, which is the reason I was given why the two exhibits are closed to the general public during this week.  I'm not normally a crier.  At this point, though, I am close.  I ask to help myself to the marketing materials for the exhibits so I don't feel like my visit is a total bust.  As I do, a thought pops in my mind.  In hindsight, I'm thinking a stroke of brilliance.  You decide for yourself.

I ask the lovely receptionist with the faint, I'm guessing, Aussie accent; "Is there someone on staff who is an AMPAS historian?  I am writing and article and would like to ask them a question about 9038 Melrose Avenue."

The receptionist helpfully replies. "Oh.  You want our library.  The Margaret Herrick Library.  You know, she's credited with naming the statue, Oscar, but then so are some others."

I shout it out loudly (in my head), "YES!".  I say out loud, "That would be great."

I find out the Margaret Herrick Library is located at 333 La Cienega Boulevard.  As I start to deflate with the news the library is off site, I am informed the building is quite close (12 blocks) and open until 6 PM (Library Hourse: Monday, Thursday, Friday; 10 am to 6 pm - Tuesday; 10 am to 8 pm - Closed Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday).  I still have about an hour to get there and do my business.  I am once again psyched for I feel as if I went looking for one diamond only to find another diamond of greater value.  That's a good thing, right?

Fade to white.  Cue the dramatic music.  Cue the writing.

What will happen to your CaliforniVacation SoCal gal as she goes in search of the Margaret Herrick Library?  Will the mystery of 9038 Melrose Avenue be solved?  Do you care?  The conclusion to this riveting sightseeing tale may be found in blog post 75.

No comments:

Post a Comment