Thursday, March 25, 2010

90. Sensational Soul Food

Your SoCal gal has been living close enough to literally crawl to South Bay Celebration Church (not that she would crawl when she is able to walk) for over a tenth of her life now.  Yet, she always would just walk on by.

Why would she give it a second glance?  In her mind with her spiritual beliefs, she is above organized religion except maybe for venue's like Agape International Spiritual Center.

In your SoCal gal's mind, me, Lori Bjork, I am also well beyond being a challenged teen nor do I currently know any.  So, no need to have it register that this church multitasks as the home of Teen Challenge Los Angeles.

It was Ray Charles' daughter's, Sheila Raye Charles, testimonial at the church Wednesday, March 24; which finally had me heading to this almost literally in my own backyard venue.  Let's just say I'll never look at my "backyard" quite the same way again.

Now before I go any further; I understand this blog is not a venue to preach religion or in any way imply I am seeking to push any thing on any one or convert any one or anything like that.  I truly feel every person's relationship (or lack of relationship) with divinity (whatever name you give it) is sacred not to mention an American first amendment constitutional right, freedom of religion.  I wish to make it clear this blog post is meant more for entertaining and informing than anything else.

Whew!  That's out of the way.

South Bay Celebration Church, 3841 West 130th Street, has been a part of Hawthorne's community for over fifty years.  I found their Wednesday's service (which included Sheila Raye Charles) more welcoming than I ever expected.

One of the church's pastors, Phil Cookes, is a Hawthorne native.  He was arrested for drugs, a gang member and the like before he became clean and sober over twenty-five years ago.  He is a champion for the church, the city of Hawthorne and Teen Challenge Los Angeles.  Like this church, Phil multitasks as the Director for Teen Challenge Los Angeles.

Teen Challenge, a faith based residential recovery program for substance abusers, is celebrating 50 years.  Teen Challenge founded in New York is now an international organization. How can one not laud or applaud what this organization accomplishes?  Kudos.

Teen Challenge Los Angeles also offers other community services.  For instance, if you are seventeen to twenty-four years of age, show up on Tuesday at 10 am to find out more about their program to help you find employment.

As for Sheila Raye Charles, wooooow-wweeee, this Soul Sister has got some set of pipes.  She dishes her personal story straight from her heart to your ears and God's (who she lovingly refers to as "Big Daddy" and don't go stealing her nickname for the Divine one, get your own, she shared).  And there ain't no sugar coating on these sensational soul food dishes.  Her delivery is so full of enthusiastic energy, no sugar is needed.  For dessert, she sings a medley of some of her father's, Ray Charles, hit songs.

I personally found her message tasty.  As I mentioned earlier, since this isn't the venue to share Ms. Charles' message, I am going to blog about it in my mind cuisine blog.  If you wish to read it, click here.

Also, at the end of this blog is a short snippet of Ms. Charles' singing at South Bay Celebration Church.  Her booming pipes were a bit too much for the mic on my camera.  So the sound is not good.  If you wish to watch a video that gives you a better sense of her awesome singing voice, click here.  While that video's audio quality is a marked improvement from my video, it still does not do her singing voice justice in my opinion.  I would recommend seeing Ms. Charles in person if you get the chance to.  I am in the process of seeking a link listing her speaking engagements.  If and when I find one, I will update this blog to include the link.

Ms. Charles has a book about her life, Behind the Shades, and a CD of the same name.

Bon appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment