Friday, March 5, 2010

75. Never Been to a Library Like This or Where the Bleep is 9038 Melrose? Part 2

In Part 1, your CaliforniVacation SoCal gal, me, Lori Bjork, is in search of the 9038 Melrose Avenue mystery answer.  I had just left the American Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) offices, 8949 Wilshire Boulevard, on my way to the Margaret Herrick Library.

I travel the ten blocks east on Wilshire then turn right onto La Cienega Boulevard.  I pass Hayes and there on my right is a church looking building.  Only I don't know for sure if it is the building I am looking for because the writing on the building proclaims it as "Fairbanks Center for Motion Picture Study" with nothing about the Margaret Herrick Library.  The number above the door is 333.  That fits.  And there is supposed to be a parking structure.  I don't see it.

According to oscars.org, the building at 333 La Cienega Boulevard "is a restored, refurbished, and expanded Romanesque building that originally housed the City of Beverly Hills Water Treatment Plant No. 1.  Built in 1927, the building was abandoned in 1976 when Beverly Hills began to purchase its water from the Los Angeles Metropolitan Water District."

I drive around the block.  This has to be it.  Let me find a street parking space.  I do.  I walk to the entrance doors.  I ring the bell so the security guard at the reception desk will let me in.  I mention I am there to see the Margaret Herrick Library.  I am sure my voice goes up at the end making it more of a question than a statement.  I mean I know I wish to see the library.  I just don't know if I am at the right place.

Whether the security guard noticed, she didn't let on.  She asked if I was a first timer to the library.  When I nodded my head up and down, she proceeded to give me the "411".  First timers must fill out a form with information including name, address and phone number.  You need to sign in with the time you arrive (and sign out when you leave).  You must agree to their terms.  This is a reference library.  Nothing may be checked out.  You are given a key to one of their lockers.  The locker is for storing just about everything you may have brought with you.  The only items you are allowed to bring into the library are paper, pencil and you.  No pens.

As you walk toward the stairs, there is a monument to Douglas Fairbanks, the first Academy President.  I noticed a plaque on the staircase denoting a generous donation from Kirk and Anne Douglas, among other plaques denoting donations.  At the top of the stairs is where you trade your I.D. for your Margaret Herrick Library Card (which you trade for your I.D. and stays at the library when you are ready to leave).  The library looks very library like, although adorned with movie related artifacts.  There are tables and chairs.  Some tables have computers on them, which are available for use.

I asked where I might find out about 9038 Melrose.  The gal I was sent to knew the address without needing to look it up.  The building was demolished.  Mystery solved.  It felt a little anti-climactic at that point.

The librarian helped me look on-line to inquire about any available photos of the Marquis Theater.  She found two through AMPAS, but to clear copyright so I may use one was anyone's guess how long that may take.  I thanked her for her help.

Remember in blog post 72 when I mention seeing the huge statue of Oscar in front of the Kodak Theatre and how it is probably as close to an Oscar as I'll ever get, but you never know?  Well, at the Margaret Herrick Library...I got closer.

Before leaving, I walked the rest of the library and found at least four Oscar's on display.  The one I committed to memory is Edith Head's Oscar for Costume Design for the movie, "All About Eve".  You don't know how much restraint I needed to not reach out to touch and/or hold the 13 1/2 inch, 8 1/2 pound, gold-plated britannium on a black metal base statue.  Respect prevailed.  Or maybe it was the thought of the three people behind the reference desk who no doubt had their eyes fixed on me ready to do God knows what if I actually did touch and/or hold one.

Well...there you have it.  Sightseeing the current AMPAS offices.  Sightseeing the Margaret Herrick Library in the building that looks like a church, use to be about water and is marked "Fairbanks Center for Motion Picture Study" (the video is an outside, La Cienega side, view of the building).  And the 9038 Melrose Avenue mystery has been solved.  The Marquis Theater was demolished in 1976 after AMPAS moved its offices to Beverly Hills.

So...it would appear if I wish to sightsee the Marquis Theater, I would need more than a Hot Tub Time Machine (it only travels back as far as the 1980's).  I'd need a working DeLorean DMC-12 with a fully functioning flux capacitor.  Now that would definitely be psyched-worthy sightseeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment