Wednesday, March 17, 2010

83. St. Pats on the Pier

I love Hermosa (word means beautiful en espanol and the "h" is silent) Beach, especially the block of Pier Avenue closest to the beach where cars are not allowed.

Why?  Because as much as you may think there are many dining-type venues "right there" almost kissing sand along the beaches in SoCal, there are not.  There are on Pier Avenue.

Despite the above, the visitors Hermosa attracts and its proximity to Los Angeles proper; the city of Hermosa Beach manages to keep a small town feel.

One time of the year this city really enjoys celebrating is St. Patrick's Day.  For almost twenty years on the Saturday before St. Patrick's Day (if St. Pat's isn't on a Saturday), the Hermosa Beach St. Patrick's Day Parade has been included as part of the festivities.  And your SoCal gal, me, Lori Bjork, decided to check it out this year.

The Hermosa Beach parade reminded me a little of the St. Patrick's Day parades I'd attended in St. Paul, MN only warmer and less people under the influence of green beer.  The parade reminded me a little of the Memorial Day parades I participated in during elementary school in Medway, Mass.  Yes, I was a brownie AND a girl scout.

Truth is I'm not sure what I expected compared to say the Rose Bowl Parade.  And this parade was definitely not on that scale.  I doubt it was meant EVER to be.  For as the parade rolled on (and my arm got more and more tired as I filmed almost all seventy minutes of it) one thing is certain, it was all in good fun. 

Happy St. Patrick's Day Everyone.  May the luck of the Irish be with you all day and every day.

P.S.  I am including all five parts of the parade with this blog for convenience sake.  While it probably wasn't the favorite part for any one else, I was excited to see not just one, but seven DeLorean DMC-12's participating in the parade.  I had recently written a blog post where I mentioned the only way I would get to sightsee 9038 Melrose Avenue was with a Delorean DMC-12 and a flux capacitor.  Now here were seven live and in the stainless steel (but no flux capacitor).  Why?  Because in the early 1980's, the vast majority of the eight thousand or so DMC-12s were produced at the DMC factory in Dunmurry, Northern Ireland.  They are viewable in part five.  Enjoy!

P.P.S.  The beach block of Pier Avenue in Hermosa Beach is also a great place to celebrate St. Patrick's Day and get your green beer.  If you are going to imbibe as there as part of your celebration, while it may be tempting to walk around on Pier Avenue with your alcohol, DON'T.  You will get a ticket.



Part 2



Part 3



Part 4



Part 5

No comments:

Post a Comment