Friday, February 5, 2010

58. Best Sight L.A. of a Hotel with the Same Name as that Eagles' Song

It's currently award season in L.A. (okay, I'll admit it's almost always some sort of award season in L.A, but that would be too long to write all the time).  In honor of the season, I have created a Bjork's Best Sights L.A. Award for "Best Sight L.A. of a Hotel with the Same Name as that Eagles' Song".  And the award goes to the Hotel California, 1670 Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica (866.571.0000).

So, Yes Virginia, there is a Hotel California.  As far as I know, there are three; my award winner, its sister hotel in San Francisco and one in Italy (the country).

As I was writing this blog post, a the thought popped into my consciousness, "inquiring minds may be curious if this is the actual hotel the specific members (Don Felder, Don Henley and Glenn Frey) of the Eagles credited with writing the song, Hotel California, were referring to".  Being the hard hitting journalist I am (are you laughing yet?  More likely I am a soft inquisitive blogger.), I called the Hotel California.  What the heck.  Didn't you notice?  It is a toll-free number.

I asked the gal who answered the phone how long this Hotel California has been in business.  12 years.  Just look how willing I am to bring you the skinny, the low down, the...well, I think you get the gist. Couldn't be the same hotel. As most of us know, the song Hotel California was first released in 1977.  Do the math. Of course, had I read the entire Wikipedia page dedicated to the Hotel California song, I would have saved myself a phone call.

Now if you have been following my "Bjork's Best" blog posts so far, you know there is a method to my madness with the sights I've chosen to honor.  The mini-tour I've been putting together began with you imagining your arrival at LAX with the excuse of having a few hours to burn before checking in to your hotel.  What if your hotel was the Hotel California?  I mean if we are imagining, right?  Maybe you even refer to your CaliforniVacation visit as your Hotel California Tour because you stay at the Hotel California.  

If you've been following "Bjork's Best", you were last at the best sight to Park and Surf (or park and watch surfing) from the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH).  When you get back in your car, you simply continue going south on the PCH until you pass the exit on your left for Interstate 10.  Take the next exit on your left which brings you up the hill to Ocean Avenue.  Turn right onto Ocean Avenue.  Barely a block later on your right is the entrance to the hotel parking lot.  Pull in before you see the sign in the photo. 

I have had the pleasure of touring the hotel.  I put together a little video from the tour included at the end of this blog post.  In the interest of full disclosure, I share that I have never stayed over night in one of the rooms.  The Hotel California isn't paying me to write this piece nor does it even know I am.  My interest is purely from a place of nostalgia and love for the Eagles' song, Hotel California.  If I didn't live in L.A. but was planning a trip to L.A., I think it would be a fun place to stay.  The hotel seems reasonably priced compared to other hotels in this area, especially for basically being on the beach in Santa Monica.

Yet, it is not right on the beach.  The video shows the property is connected to a staircase you must descend in order to be beach level.  If you have a problem with stairs, this may not be the place for you.  Also, there is no pool, hot tub or exercise facility located on the property.  However the rooms look clean and well-maintained.  They offer a complimentary continental breakfast.  The particular room I show in the video is actually one of what they consider their suites.

The beauty of the Hotel California's location is that once you check in, you are within walking distance of the Santa Monica Pier, the Third Street Promenade and if you walk the beach going south, you run into Venice's beach and infamous boardwalk.  Depending on how long you stay in L.A. for this Hotel California Tour, you may never have to get back in your vehicle again (there is an extra fee for parking your vehicle in the hotel's lot) until you "boo hoo" sadly must return to the airport.

Ahhh!  The Hotel California.  Such a lovely place...to enjoy that bottle of Rosenthal wine to celebrate the sights of L.A.

Ahhhh!  It feels good to celebrate the sights of L.A.



No comments:

Post a Comment