Saturday, February 13, 2010

63. Best Sight L.A. To See Skateboarding Without A Skateboard

In L.A. it is currently award season.  In honor of the season I created an award for "Best Sight L.A. To See Skateboarding Without A Skateboard".  And the award goes to the a little over four months young (grand opening celebration was October 3, 2009), infant, Dennis 'Polar Bear' Agnew Memorial Skate Park  on the beach in beautiful Venice, California (official address is 1800 Oceanfront Walk) aka Venice Beach Skate Park.

Now if you have been following "Bjork's Best" blog posts so far, you know there is a method to my madness with the sights I have chosen to honor.  I've put a mini-tour (if you will) together which I dubbed "The Hotel California Tour", as the Hotel California is an award winning sight in my "Bjork's Best" series.

In case you have not been following, we just learned a travel tip from a brown pelican while at the rock pile landmark on the beach in Venice.  We were about to turn left from there to see where it takes us.

Truth is on my turn left trek, I made a b-line right past this even if you aren't a skateboarder you will respect the design artistry of RRM Design Group in collaboration with Wormhoudt, Inc. and the construction effort of California Skateparks, Inc. that went into this multi-million dollar use of concrete fashioned into a skate park, which was funded through sources including Quimby developer fees and the Venice Area Surplus Property Sales Trust Fund to name a few.

As I have mentioned before, my cousin, Eric, is a bmx trick biker.  So, I walked to the adjacent concrete where the bmx bikers were riding to watch them for a while.

There were also some skateboarders in this area, which I dubbed a skate boarding "bunny hill" for beginners.  When you see the new Venice Beach Skate Park, you just have to figure it is not the place beginners go to learn.

After a few minutes I decided to check out the Skate Park area.  One of my very first blogs was about the skate park in Hawthorne, which I like to refer to as Skate Park 90250.  I would have loved to film some 90250 skateboarders in action.  Denied.  The reason I was given was they need to be careful that pedophiles won't end up hanging out there.  So I was concerned that someone might deny me filming at this skate park, as well.  Thankfully, this was not the case.

Watch the video.  Note how well these skateboarders get along.  Note how the skateboarders seem to defy gravity.  Note one of the skateboarders is female.  Note how there appears to be a magical, energetic field between feet and skateboard, which keeps the board from falling from their feet.

Note #58 with the white/black checked cap.  Watch him in the thick of the riding area. 

You would swear from his form he is riding a skateboard.  Watch him end his ride jumping off of the wheels under his feet...seemingly skateboarding but without a skateboard.  Amazing!

When I finished filming, this "wiz on wheels" was nowhere to be found.  Okay, nowhere that I saw.  I tried every Google search my brain would conjure so I may report about his wheels.  I found nothing.

One thing is for sure, I enjoyed the show.  The show, I mean skate park is open from dawn to dusk.

Just in case you were wondering, this 16,000 square foot skate park is the only one in the world located on a beach.  Kudos to Venice, who along with Santa Monica is considered to be pioneer skate boarding territory.

Ahhh!  It feels good to celebrate the sights of L.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment