Saturday, November 7, 2009

25. Cars. Cars. Cars.


I'm not much for stereotypes, unless they benefit me.  I'm just sayin'!  Being a gal I have a love/hate relationship with cars.  I love them when they perform well simply because I have the key and there is gas in the tank.  I hate them when they don't perform.  Okay, hate is a strong emotion, so how about "not too happy" instead?

You know there are so many destinations and events in L.A. that I feel like the veritable kid in a candy store when it comes to deciding what to destinate or attend and then write about.  I never know what may inspire me.

I noticed many of my posts include parking information.  I must feel parking is important since I mention it so often.  This got me wondering, "why do I drive everywhere?".

Then I remembered "Hello?" I live in the greater Los Angeles area, which is huge, almost 24,000 square miles HUGE.  Here's a little perspective.  The state of Rhode Island...the entire state...is 1,044 square miles. That's a lot of area to cover.  Can I get an "amen"?

To cover the area efficiently, one needs a mode of transportation faster than walking.  Since I don't own or have access to a helicopter, "ta da!" Cars. Cars. Cars.  With the greater Los Angeles area's population at approximately ten million, that's a lot of cars.  And my blogosphere friend, they have to park somewhere.

All these cars.  So many cars.  Did I mention that's a lot of cars?  If you are a guy who loves cars beyond their utilitarian function, you'll love L.A.  Simply driving around is a car lover's dream, as you never know what sports car, luxury car, classic car, tricked-out car or whacked-out car you may pull up beside at the next stop sign or pass in the next lane.

The greater Los Angeles area is host to travelling car shows and weekly events, like the Friday night car show at Ruby's Diner, King Harbor Parking Lot in Redondo Beach.

I have an uncle who loves cars and attending car shows.  He's a plethora of car knowledge.  His knowledge almost exceeds his love for cars.  That's huge.  He was classmates with Brian Wilson (of Beach Boys fame), 1960 graduates of Hawthorne High School, the original Cougar Town.  Go Cougars!  A love for cars is in my uncles' DNA.  I am just sure of it.  I love you, Uncle Larry.

So, I've attended a few car shows with him.  Two things stood out for me.

1.  My definition of love and beauty were expanded.  The car owners really love their cars.  A fully restored, shining, gleaming, classic car is (I swear and I don't normally like to) as breath-taking as any piece of art in a museum.

2.  My first car I owned, a 1975 Dodge Dart Sport (can you guess my daddy picked it out for me?), which at the time I would have never considered a classic car IS now a classic car.  So, what does that make me?  I'll ponder that another day.

MahaloAloha.

Below is video from the Belmont Shores car show I attended with my uncle in September, 2009.  I do not showcase it in this blog post since it is an annual event.  I include the video because it gives you a taste of the car show experience.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment