Friday, November 6, 2009

24. R U A Fan of the Chicken Soup for the Soul Man?

It's been less than a week since Holy Cross Cemetery.  Yet, I'm back in Culver City, CA.  The accompanying photo is the one I associate with Culver City, whose roots are rich with screenland history.
I'm writing about an upcoming event located at a place close enough to Holy Cross Cemetery (both are off of Slauson Avenue) you may think of them as neighbors.  I know I do.  That place: Agape Spiritual Center.

You may have heard of Agape Spiritual Center because its founder, Michael Bernard Beckwith, was one of the participants in the movie, The Secret.

Agape is located in an almost warehouse looking building one may never guess housed such an amazing inner sanctuary.  Parking is very limited.  If you drive, please allow yourself plenty of time before Sunday service starts to adjust for this.  Or perhaps you would like to take the bus to bypass parking.

Agape allows no unauthorized photography whatsoever inside its walls.  Once inside it is implied per posted signage you consent to have your image filmed with full ownership retained by Agape.  Please know I include this information more as a "heads up" than a critique.

I've only attended Sunday morning services once when the author of The Four Agreements book, Don Miguel Ruiz, was the featured speaker.  To me, love is my religion and the earth, my sanctuary.  Yet, I so loved The Four Agreements, it was a must attend in my mind.

The service was amazing.  One thing appears certain is Agape by virtue of its L.A. location has the benefit of some of the most talented people as its congregants.  So much so the service's production value was engaging, entertaining and professional; much like the House of Blues Sunday Morning Gospel Brunch (without the brunch, of course).  I dare even the biggest of cynics not to be moved by the performance and the palpable feeling of love that permeates the service.
 

Agape Spiritual Center also has a service every Wednesday evening.  One of my favorite things is dropping in to attend noon meditation, which is offered Monday through Friday at 12:15 PM.  Recently, after over 20 years of serving the spiritual community, they have added live streaming video of the services accessible from their website, www.agapelive.com.  Lastly in my opinion, their bookstore is one of the best stocked stores for spirituality-related items I've yet to experience.

All of this is great you may be thinking.  So what's the event Lori?  Mark Victor Hansen at Agape.  He's one of the two "Chicken Soup" soul men, whose books have sold over 140 million copies internationally.  These books hold the record in The Guinness Book of World Records for having the most books on the New York Times bestseller list at one time.  I understand, for those who attend, Mr. Hansen has a surprise to share.

If you would like to attend a spiritually moving service, meet Mr. Chicken Soup Soul Man and enjoy a surprise gift, then get thine self to Agape Spiritual Center, 5700 Buckingham Parkway, on Sunday, November 9, 2009.  I just may see you there.  Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment