Saturday, October 31, 2009

19. Holy Cross Cemetery


In honor of Halloween, a trip to a cemetery seems like a good idea.

If you know much about Los Angeles, Forest Lawn might seem like the obvious choice as it is well known for celebrity residents.  Their most recent resident, one Michael Jackson.  So, I didn't want to go there.

Honestly, the only cemetery I considered is the one where some of my family are now residents, Holy Cross Cemetery in Culver City.

During the day this 200 acre cemetery, which first opened its gate in 1939, is more a place of zen-like tranquility with its beautifully landscaped grounds and chapel than a place to be afraid.  Be very afraid.  On a clear day from the east end of the grounds one can see all the way to the ocean.

The grounds and chapel are immaculate.  In the chapel, except for the very faint sound of elevator-type music, it is about quiet enough to hear a pin drop.  A place seemingly more conducive to meditation than mourning.

Holy Cross Cemetery also has its share of celebrity residents.  During one of my first visits I spied John Candy's marker and just seconds later Fred MacMurray.  I later Googled both names just to ensure I really saw what I saw.  I hadn't expected celebrity residents as I was there to pay respect to deceased members of my family.  I only noticed their markers as they are close to the restrooms.

All in all this cemetery is anything but frightening...at least during the day.  Depending on your frame of mind if you visit, it just may give you pause as it did me.  There are so many choices in life.  Who knew there could be so many choices in death.

Holy Cross Cemetery, 5835 West Slauson Avenue, Culver City, California



No comments:

Post a Comment