Saturday, October 31, 2009

20. Sharks Cove Hermosa Beach


Having lived the majority of my life in Minnesota, there are many things that are a change when one moves to California, like what time NFL games start on a Sunday morning (9 and 10 am).  That seems a little early to me to start drinking beer.  Does that make me a prude?

Normally, I prefer to watch sports and do my drinking at home.  The morning we visited Sharks Cove in Hermosa Beach (for those who don't know, Hermosa is a spanish word meaning "beautiful" and the "h" is silent) it was with very deliberate intent.  This bar is a Pittsburgh Steelers bar.

On this fine Sunday morning in October the Minnesota Vikings would be guests of the Pittsburgh Steelers in a match that would find Brett Favre experiencing his first loss of the 2009-2010 season wearing his purple #4.

Now I've heard of niche marketing, but a bar that can be supported by fans of a team almost three thousand miles a way seems a bit too niche to be profitable.  And yet, here it is.  And their Steelers' energy was intimidating, I am sad to report.  So much so we were almost happy to leave to go to another place to meet family, have breakfast and watch the end of the game in more neutral territory.  And bonus: a view of the beach and ocean.

Sharks Cove in Hermosa Beach serves breakfast.  As I looked over the menu I have to say I was shocked, surprised and dare I say it...a little excited to find they serve tater tots with their breakfast. I was especially excited as I had not too long ago been thinking about one of those dishes which probably never EVER will be considered healthy, tater tot hot dish. Yet, I'll probably always have a fond spot for this "comfort food" dish in my heart.

So class what have we learned here?  Let's see.  If you are ever in Hermosa Beach looking for a place to have beer, tater tots and cheer for your favorite NFL team, the Pittsburgh Steelers, Sharks Cove is just that little slice of heaven you've been looking for.




No comments:

Post a Comment