Friday, October 2, 2009

Honoring Mahatma Gandhi's Birthday October 2, 2009



Did you know that some of Gandhi's ashes are in SoCal? It's true.

The author of the book, Autobiography of a Yogi, Paramahansa Yogananda, was considered by Gandhi to be one of his gurus and friends.

I have a saying I borrow "fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity." Gandhi was an example of what is possible with peace.

So, it seems only fitting that some of Gandhi's ashes are enshrined in what I feel is one of the most peaceful places on the planet, the Self-Realization Fellowship Temple: Lake Shrine. (Of course, I haven't been to every inch of the planet, but...) To visit their web presence, click here.

The video with today's blog is just a small taste of all you may experience at the Self-Realization Fellowship Temple: Lake Shrine.

Located on the infamous Sunset Boulevard in Pacific Palisades, California, this peaceful oasis is barely a mile from where Sunset Boulevard and the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) meet.

Since this is one of my favorite places in all of SoCal and I feel thrilled to have it be my second post ever of this blog, I'm just going to explain to you how I love to enjoy this destination.

Saturday's between 9 and 11 am are the best day to go in my opinion (unless it is raining and then they will be closed). As I get off of Interstate 10 going north on the PCH...well, I just am in such joy at my first view of the ocean for the day. There is a reason I consider myself Ocean Dork Bjork. It's about a good five miles or so along the PCH before I see where to turn, the gas station with the Taco Bell. I'll stop later.

The following is not a commercial for Taco Bell, but I love Taco Bell. Okay, not so much for their food, but for their Baja Blast Soda. Only place you can get it is at a Taco Bell. I was thinking in my head the other night about places I might consider for this blog and for some reason Taco Bell popped in my head. I was thinking the Taco Bell closest to where I live is my favorite. Then there's another on Sepulveda that would have to be my second favorite. Then I didn't know after that. If you think about it thinking of Taco Bell or Starbucks as destinations is so pop culture. Truth is the Taco Bell at PCH and Sunset is my favorite. What would Gandhi think?

As you drive up the quarter-mile on Sunset Boulevard from the PCH (literally it's uphill), on the right is the entrance to what in my opinion is ShangriLA in L.A. You really have to have your eyes pealed for the entrance. I always drive slowly along this stretch to make sure I don't pass it.

Parking is free. For me, I start at the gift shop/bathroom area and begin the circular path. Before I get to where Gandhi is enshrined, I'll veer over to the lake to see how close the two white male swans are or if I'll notice any of the many koi or turtles. I love the turtles there. I don't know if it is the law of attraction or what, but I swear every time I go I see more and more than the last time.

Then I'll go pay my respects to Gandhi. Officially it is known as the Mahatma Gandhi World Peace Memorial. Next stop is the statue of Krishna overlooking an amazing waterfall.

My next stop is the Houseboat. Here's why Saturday morning is your best bet if you want the full experience. I am a fairly frequent visitor the the Lake Shrine but because the houseboat was always off limits to go into, I assumed you never could. Then I found myself there one beautiful Saturday morning before 11 am to find that is when the houseboat is open for meditation. Think what you want of me, but as I sat in the houseboat that morning tears streamed from my face I was full of such joy to finally have access.

Lake Village was dedicated in 1950. The Houseboat is older than that, yet in pristine condition. Paramahansa Yogananda would sometimes use it as his residence.

My next stop is the little dock where you can get a great view of the Koi fish and feed them, as well.

As I follow the path, my next stop is the windmill. The bottom level is set up as a sanctuary and perfect for meditation.

Following the path, you come to a garden with monuments to all religions. My final stop is the building which houses a mini-museum about Paramahansa Yogananda, who is credited as bringing yoga to the U.S., and a gift shop.

On my way back from the center feeling all blissed-out from the Lake Shrine experience, I stop at the aforementioned Taco Bell because they have outdoor seating allowing me to gaze glassy-eyed out into the vast majesty that to me is the Pacific Ocean, which allows me to wallow a while longer in my blissed-out state.

As I turn left onto the PCH, I am not quite ready to go home yet. Almost immediately is an area where you can simply pull your car over. Parking is free. I get out of my car to find a comfy spot to ocean watch. Okay, truth is that this area is a favorite spot for surfers. Also, at low tide this is a great place to enjoy a beach walk.

On these days, I like to feel like time is not a factor. I stay at each place for as long as I feel I want to stay and then move on.

In closing, I wish to thank Mahatma Gandhi for being such an excellent example of the power of peace.

I, also, wish to thank all of you who have read this far. Since this is only my second blog post, I'd like to take a moment to mention that you will note I purposely intend to only write what I love about any destination I write about leaving out what I may not have cared for. There is a method to my madness. As humans we can be highly suggestible to others opinions. What I don't care for may be something you care for. Thus, I don't want to presuppose you into expecting you will find something about the experience you don't care for. Thanks again. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment