Tuesday, October 20, 2009

15. California Historical Landmark No. 1018

NO. 1018 MANHATTAN BEACH STATE PIER - Designed by City Engineer A.L. Harris, this pier was constructed by the City of Manhattan Beach during the years 1917-1920. The roundhouse building was added a year later. Harris' innovative design featured a rounded end to the pier, which helped it withstand the pounding of the Pacific. Although the roundhouse was reconstructed in 1989, the pier itself survives as Southern California's oldest remaining example of early reinforced concrete pier construction.
Location: West of Manhattan Beach Blvd, Manhattan Beach



This was one of my delightful surprises.  For all of the times I've been by the pier I never took notice that it is one of California's Historical Landmarks.  Architecturally, the Manhattan Beach Pier is beautiful and oft photographed.  Below is one of my attempts.




 I have more posts to share from Manhattan Beach, but for now I take this opportunity to copy the post I did for the California Historical Landmark, sunset at Point Dume (do-may), especially since it was another surprise that I was able to film what seemed to be a very close sun.  Enjoy.



P.S.  Notice how clean Manhattan Beach is and the architectural beauty of the lamp posts that flank the pier and mimic the round theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment