Monday, October 12, 2009

7. It Ain't No Ports O' Call!

Okay, there was water, but I didn't make it to Ports O'Call Friday.

Since Friday, I've been pondering the significance of intending to visit somewhere (even broadcasting it to the CyberUniverse) and then NOT...in the context of CaliforniVacation.

One of my desires with this blog is that like me...other SoCal residents may gain a renewed appreciation for this magnificent area of the world in which we live. If you live here and say you'll go to Ports O'Call one day and then don't...no big whup!  You just go another day.  If you are visiting, you have to wonder if there will be another day...another time.

Yet for someone like me who doesn't really believe in accidents any more, I find it interesting that more and more I believe in what I refer to as "happy accidents".  Where I ended up instead on Friday, to me, is a happy accident because of my affinity for dolphins.

My Uncle Larry and I ended up (and I'll be honest out of mere laziness of not wanting to drive "all the way", which actually was about only another 15 minutes, to San Pedro) at Miramar Beach.

I know, you may be thinking to your self, "Miramar...miramar...miramar.  I know I've heard that before?"  If you've seen the movie, Top Gun, you would be right.  This is not that Miramar.

What makes it sort of weird and unique (at least in my opinion) is that it is the City of Torrance's only beach. If you are familiar with Torrance, you would know it is more of an inland city.  So this little strip of ocean front seems like a stretch to call it in Torrance, but who am I to judge, especially since it is a wonderful, well-maintained beach.

This area used to be known as The Hollywood Riviera.  If you are interested in the history, please click here.

There is a parking lot that you have to pay to park in.  However, there is street parking that is free.

Most beaches in Los Angeles County do not allow dogs.  When you watch the video you will see not only are dogs welcome, but they have their own water fountain.  Please be sure to bring your pooper scooper, of course.

Miramar Beach has three ramps to help you get from the parking lot to the beach area.  If you are handicapped, you may go to this beach and get quite close to the water.

What I loved the most?  It's a known dolphin hang out.  No the dolphins are not some sort of gang you aren't familiar with nor are they a sports team.  These are the delightful whole-brain using, ocean-dwelling mammals.

The delightful guys who were willing to let me film them are locals.  I am sad to say that it is pretty hard to notice any dolphins in my video.  However, if you visit, especially in the afternoon, you should be able to view dolphins yourself.

The one gent with the long green kayak, which kept tipping over, was practically swimming with the dolphins part of the time.  When I asked him about it, he mentioned dolphins are there every day.  As far as he knows though, they only play about once a month.  Of course, he probably isn't keeping dolphin vigil every moment.  So, he probably doesn't know for sure how often they play.  It's just that as I exlaim in the video that this is only the second time I've seen dolphins in five years.  So, I am super excited to know that if I want a place to go where I am pretty much assured I will see some...well, I now know where that place is.

Now you do to.

No comments:

Post a Comment