Monday, October 5, 2009

4. Skate Park 90250

Okay, today's subject is actually Eucalyptus Park (Inglewood Avenue by 120th Street) in Hawthorne, California.

Back in the early 1900's in Hawthorne's pre-infancy, eucalyptus trees covered the land.  (If you're like me you can spot a tree, but...so to see what a eucalyptus tree looks like, click here.)

Without knowing the name of this park, I've simply referred to it as Skate Park 90250.  The 90250 refers to Hawthorne's zip code and relative closeness in numbers to that infamous zip code 90210.  To not be a total copycat, I've tried to pitch the Skate Park 90250 concept to no avail.  After visiting the park, maybe I understand a little better why.

Personally, I'm not much of a park goer.  If I'm going out in nature, the beach is my first choice. I love to sleep in.  Not that I can't be a morning person.  If I'm up, I'm happy (most of the time).  Still, sleeping in is my first choice.  I almost shocked myself then by deciding to get up early to get some footage of the park and Hawthorne High School (HHS), home of the Cougars and the original Cougar Town.com

Monday through Friday the park doesn't open until 3 PM.  Okay, these are some of the things that seem a little sad to me compared to Minnesota living (although not enough to ever make me want to move back).  The hours were created specifically to help curb skateboarders and the like from playing hookey from school to be at the park.  Since the park is pretty much across the street from HHS, one might think that would be unnecessary.  Apparently not.

Saturday and Sunday the park opens at 9 AM.  You can understand my amazement as I was filming the park from across the street (which I can't seem to find this footage now), wondering what time it is while noticing the Park Rangers opening the gate to the concrete skating area, it must be 9 AM. 

On my way back from HHS walking north on Inglewood Avenue, I first walk past one of the free parking lots into the south area of the park.  This area incorporates into its design many posts that have been beautifully decorated with bright and shiny yellow, blue and red broken tiles.

At this time of the morning with the sun peaking beams of light through the trees, the park is still and peaceful with very little activity.  The park almost brought me to tears.  I'm not a crier.  So allow me to explain.

As I was admiring the craftsmanship of the tile decor, I started thinking about everyone who has ever been a part of the history of this park.   Someone or someones had an idea to build this park and put the physical manifestational wheels into motion to create the park.  From there architects, builders, maintainers and park goers past, present or future have all contributed to the uniqueness that is this SoCal destination. 

Having said all of that, you will note if you watch the video that I stop filming because I am advised by the park rangers that it is prohibited.  The conversation didn't end there.  I let them know why I was filming and asked if they were sure.

"Yes!  Rules are rules."  No cameras or filming without permission from either the city of Hawthorne and/or permission in the form of a release from anyone using the fenced off with a locked gate, concrete skating area.  The concern: pedophiles.

Okay, I know that seems like a legitimate concern, but again...how sad.



I asked the ladies at the gate why they had to be watching the gate.  Pads.  Just so you know, the park is now serious about enforcing the use of pads in order to use the skate park area.

In my research for this blog, I googled my cousin, Eric aka Barney.  Eric considers Eucalyptus Park to be his main park even though Eric doesn't skateboard.  Eric is a BMX trick biker.  ESPN had put together a recent video showcasing the local BMX bikers at Eucalyptus Park at night.  My cousin added the pad enforcement seemed to be deterring a lot of the "bad" element from the park.  While never having used pads previously, Eric mentioned geting some now so he could continue using the park.

I leave you with a link to the blog that included the ESPN video.  Click here.  Thanks. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment