Friday, November 20, 2009

31. Where Are All the Coffee Shops At?

You may or may not know, I tandem this blog with my duty (calm down, Beavis, I didn't just write "dooty") and joy as examiner.com's, LA Sightseeing Examiner.  Thus, it would appear to make sense for me to write about things I sightsee.  Seems rational, right?  That is until I was showering, which is where I enjoy most of my "aha" moments.  That's when it occurred to me there was something I didn't sightsee in downtown Culver City/Culver Hotel area.  Honestly, I was a smidge freaked and concerned at the realization.

No coffee shops!  Where would Bonnie Hunt get her coffee fix? (assuming she drinks coffee)


That's just the kind of caring examiner I am.  Plus, I notice coffee shops, especially Starbucks. Let's face it, (1) they seem to be everywhere and (2) they used to be my competition.  I owned a coffee shop in Minneapolis.  Sold it ten years ago.  But, I digress.

I happened to mention this "no coffee shop phenom" to my Uncle Larry, who I have now decided is to me with my sightseeing writing as Jimmy Kimmel's Uncle Frank is to him on Jimmy Kimmel Live! (someone I love who is a delightful source of information and added color commentary)

Uncle Larry, my mommy's brother, loves classic cars.  He's lived in the L.A. area his entire over sixty years' life.  Did I mention he graduated from Hawthorne High School with Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys?  He is a car show frequent flier.  If they gave out miles, he'd have so many he'd never be able to redeem them all.  Get it?  Uncle Larry gets round, round, get around, he gets around...L.A.  I love you, Uncle Larry.

Here's the kicker:  Uncle Larry doesn't drink coffee.  Yet he knew there is a Starbucks on the corner of Culver Boulevard and Venice Boulevard, a mere three blocks from the gate entrance for the Bonnie Hunt Show.  I was so focused on the Culver Hotel area; I never thought to look there (most likely a life lesson metaphor in all of this somewhere...I'm just sayin'!).  Whew!  Crisis averted.  Bonnie can have her coffee and drink it too!

And I never thought I'd ponder the following, "Hooray for Starbucks."

P.S.  The Lion's Fountain, pictured above and depicted in the short video below IS a sight located in downtown Culver City by the Culver Hotel.  It's artist, Douglas Olmsted Freeman, and I share a Minneapolis connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment