Tuesday, December 8, 2009

38. December Rain


On Monday, December 7, 2009 I awoke to rain.  As I mention in my October 14th post, seeing rain in L.A. is a sightseeing event in and of itself.  This particular morning was even more of an event since it included continuous rain with the kind of dark clouds which made it seem like it is still night out when it is day.  Not that I feel I had anything planned, but the rain had me feeling like there was no way I was leaving my "crib" all day.

Or so I thought.  Despite all the weather reports at around 3 PM the sun was out and it looked like the rain was done.  Thank you.  Now I didn't need to find my umbrella.  Thank you.  Now I would go to Manhattan Beach Pier to see what the rain and wind may be doing to the beach and waves.  Thank you.  Now I would get to see how Manhattan Beach decked its so-called "halls" for the holidays.  Also, I noted signage advising Manhattan Beach would be having a holiday Fireworks Festival at the pier Wednesday, December 16th from 4 to 7 PM.

As I drove down Manhattan Beach Boulevard toward the pier with the Guns n Roses song, November Rain, playing on my favorite radio station, KLOS, most of the signs of rain were already drying...but the wind.  Whooooo!!!

As you watch the included video, you will get a sense of the winds effects.  I did think the waves would be larger.  On the other hand, the setting sun and clouds (which are rarely found in the L.A. sky) display just about took my breath away.

The Universe also gave me an additional gift for my effort.  During my excursion the electricity went out at home for almost an hour.  Instead of being home handicapped by no electricity, I was out enjoying the painted sky at the Manhattan Beach Pier.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment