Wednesday, December 9, 2009

40. On the Third Day of Hanukkah at the Third Street Promenade

Starting at 5:45 PM on Friday, December 11, 2009 one candle will be lit on this Menorah (located between Santa Monica Boulevard and Arizona on the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica) to celebrate the first day and the beginning of the eight days of Hanukkah this year.

If you are like me...wait...if you are like me in some ways, like the way where I have always wanted to participate in a world record, then you may want to show up to the Third Street Promenade for the third day of Hanukkah on the 13th of December for the lighting of the third candle on the Menorah festivities.

Okay before going too much further, I give formal credit here to the Metromix Los Angeles' article, which first informed me about what I think will be a fun event...a sight worthy of me seeing.  Click here if you wish to peruse it.  I wish no disrespect to the author, but I felt an inner nudge to confirm what was written in the article, especially since a Google search for the event only came up with the Metromix article.

Here's what I found out.  While the first candle will be lit on December 11th to celebrate the first night of Hanukkah, the event attempt to break the record will not be until the third night, December 13th.  The event is listed as taking place at 5:45 PM and that participants should show up at dusk.  Dusk is...  Darn!  I thought dusk was the beginning of darkness in the evening, which occurs before the sun actually sets.  Currently in L.A. that would be right around 4 PM.  In my effort to clarify and define I checked handy, dandy Wikipedia only to find out I was wrong...couldn't be more wronger (if you are a regular, treasured reader of my blog you may be sensing a pattern).  Dusk is the end of the evening civil twilight.  Currently in L.A. that would be about 5 PM.

According to a spokesperson at the Santa Monica Synagogue, whose Rabbi Jeff Marx will be lighting the third candle at the event, the festivities are scheduled to begin at 6 PM.  Still, why not get there early to take a little stroll around the beautiful Third Street Promenade to admire the holiday decor.  Perhaps you might grab a bite to eat or some warm beverage to hold onto as baby it will be cold outside during the event.  Arriving early also ensures you will get yourself a good spot close to the festivities.

All right already.  Lori, you keep mentioning a record breaking opportunity at this event.  What is it? 

When you attend you are gifted with a dreidel.  If more than 602 are in attendance, participate and spin their dreidels simultaneously, then we that participate will bask in the collective glow of a new world record.  If not...well...let's expect it isn't whether we will succeed.  We will succeed and have fun doing so.

   
P.S.  Some of you may be thinking, "Lori, Bjork doesn't sound Jewish.  We bet your ancestors didn't change your family name at Ellis Island from Bjorkstein to Bjork.  Why would you participate?"  And I would respond, "good observation!"  I'd like to believe God is non-denominational and that fun, a close cousin to love, is too.

No comments:

Post a Comment