Wednesday, December 9, 2009

41. Third Street Promenade Holiday Launch


Festivities were set to start at 5 PM.  I was glad I arrived at 4 PM.  This gave me a chance to walk around and admire the way the Third Street Promenade is decorated for the 2009 holidays.  It also afforded me the opportunity to get a fairly good spot to see the stage.

I was somewhat disappointed when 5:30 came, went and still no start to the festivities.  What can I say?  I am a punctual sort.

Pat Prescott, co-host of 94.7 the Wave's morning show, started off the show and served as emcee.  The show started with a soapy display of falling snow and a surprise visit from that North Pole resident a.k.a. Santa Claus.  All delightful.  Next the crowd was regaled with some holiday music from some lively carolers.

After the carolers finished Ms. Prescott returned to introduce singer, Jared Lee.  Never heard of him.  First song not so eventful in my mind.  He did an impressive, shortened, jazzy rendition of the Mariah Carey song, All I want For Christmas Is You.  I actually wish I had filmed his performance of this song.  He also sang his song, Hooray For Hollywood, which he also wrote.  Pretty good!

Ms. Prescott again returned to the stage to introduce her friend and co-worker, Brian McKnight, and his two sons, which were the headlining act for this event.  That man can sing and was well worth the wait.

This event was definitely more about what you came to hear than what you came to see.  Mr. McKnight finished his set and was expecting someone to return to the stage to commence with the tree lighting portion of the festivities.  Apparently the tree had already been lit during his set.  In going through my footage, I was able to find the moment that happened.  I include it in my video.  When you watch the video, see if you can figure it out.





Previously I mention the bridge lighting event at the Venice Canal.  The Third Street Promenade and Venice Canal event were basically at the same time.  I chose the promenade and hustling after to see if I might attend the tail end of the canal event.  About all I made it in time for was to snap the photo I include here.  Doesn't do the bridge justice if I do say so myself.  Also, it was quite dark in other spots along the canal walkway, which leads me to suggest your first visit be one during the day.  Or if you must go at night, you may consider bringing a flashlight.

P.S.  The tree is lit at about 4 minutes and 12 seconds into the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment